One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short pointed piece of wood or plastic used for removing bits of food lodged between the teeth.
- ‘Once the squid are ready, remove the toothpicks.’
- ‘Hoss sat down at the table, removed the toothpick, and picked up a mug of beer.’
- ‘Mix up some 1-hour epoxy, and work the goo into the holes with a small tool such as a toothpick.’
- ‘You can choose from a small pocketknife that has fewer functions, or a larger knife with endless functions, ranging from corkscrews to toothpicks.’
- ‘The knife in my hands slipped when the wagon hit a rut, nicking a rogue gouge from the piece of wood I was absently whittling down to a toothpick.’
- ‘Allow the slices to cool; cut them into half-inch pieces and skewer with toothpicks.’
- ‘Fork holders and toothpicks made out of bread work are commendable.’
- ‘Run a plastic toothpick or the end of a big sewing machine needle around the insignia and rings.’
- ‘He had a toothpick lodged in his mouth, as his walkman blasted out the most recent songs on the Tokyo top 50.’
- ‘Max grinned slightly, turning around and removing the toothpick from his mouth.’
- ‘Using toothpick, pin or point of knife, remove meat from shells and place in reserved liquid.’
- ‘Forrest silently toyed with the toothpick lodged between his lips.’
- ‘Woodenware (spoons, various kitchen utensils, toothpicks, and sieves) was produced in several centers.’
- ‘Pasita is a sweet alcohol served in shot glasses with a piece of cheese and a raisin on a toothpick.’
- ‘Alternatively, dip a toothpick or sliver of wood in glue and break off the tip in the stripped hole, then reinstall the screw.’
- ‘I asked her why she not only refused any food but rolled cigarettes the size of toothpicks.’
- ‘Another technique was to use ordinary round wooden toothpicks as our primary tools.’
- ‘Remove and discard the toothpicks from the Brussels sprouts and set aside, keeping warm.’
- ‘Most everyone has witnessed the elementary science lesson of the toothpick in the avocado pit growing roots in a baby food jar.’
- ‘These pom-pom cocktail sticks are adorable - and so much more fun than just regular toothpicks for small bites of food.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.