One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short pointed piece of wood or plastic used for removing bits of food lodged between the teeth.
- ‘Alternatively, dip a toothpick or sliver of wood in glue and break off the tip in the stripped hole, then reinstall the screw.’
- ‘Woodenware (spoons, various kitchen utensils, toothpicks, and sieves) was produced in several centers.’
- ‘Once the squid are ready, remove the toothpicks.’
- ‘He had a toothpick lodged in his mouth, as his walkman blasted out the most recent songs on the Tokyo top 50.’
- ‘You can choose from a small pocketknife that has fewer functions, or a larger knife with endless functions, ranging from corkscrews to toothpicks.’
- ‘Pasita is a sweet alcohol served in shot glasses with a piece of cheese and a raisin on a toothpick.’
- ‘Forrest silently toyed with the toothpick lodged between his lips.’
- ‘Hoss sat down at the table, removed the toothpick, and picked up a mug of beer.’
- ‘Remove and discard the toothpicks from the Brussels sprouts and set aside, keeping warm.’
- ‘Fork holders and toothpicks made out of bread work are commendable.’
- ‘Another technique was to use ordinary round wooden toothpicks as our primary tools.’
- ‘Allow the slices to cool; cut them into half-inch pieces and skewer with toothpicks.’
- ‘Max grinned slightly, turning around and removing the toothpick from his mouth.’
- ‘Most everyone has witnessed the elementary science lesson of the toothpick in the avocado pit growing roots in a baby food jar.’
- ‘The knife in my hands slipped when the wagon hit a rut, nicking a rogue gouge from the piece of wood I was absently whittling down to a toothpick.’
- ‘Mix up some 1-hour epoxy, and work the goo into the holes with a small tool such as a toothpick.’
- ‘These pom-pom cocktail sticks are adorable - and so much more fun than just regular toothpicks for small bites of food.’
- ‘Run a plastic toothpick or the end of a big sewing machine needle around the insignia and rings.’
- ‘Using toothpick, pin or point of knife, remove meat from shells and place in reserved liquid.’
- ‘I asked her why she not only refused any food but rolled cigarettes the size of toothpicks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.