One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fairy said to take children's milk teeth after they fall out and leave a coin under the child's pillow.
- ‘Why don't we have schools that teach children there is a tooth fairy or put Santa Claus Studies on the national curriculum, and be done with it?’
- ‘Then you could put them under your pillow and the tooth fairy would give you money.’
- ‘Closer still was a repetitive tock tock tock which I quickly guessed was my daughter tapping the table with coins from her second visitation of the tooth fairy.’
- ‘I remember one night, when my husband and I forgot to take my daughter's tooth from under her pillow and replace it with money from the tooth fairy.’
- ‘My favourite characters were the tooth fairy and the bears.’
- ‘They're just grown-up versions of the tooth fairy.’
- ‘But when he lost his first tooth, I helped him make a Lego tooth fairy bridge that the tooth fairy could climb up.’
- ‘It's the biggest myth since the tooth fairy and Father Christmas.’
- ‘If you think we just don't have quite enough government interference in our lives, and you think the public services are run cheaply, honourably, and efficiently with minimal waste, and believe in the tooth fairy, vote any of the others.’
- ‘In the other, a much younger girl comes down to breakfast with a coin the tooth fairy left under her pillow the night before.’
- ‘I don't believe in ghosts or God, Father Christmas or the tooth fairy.’
- ‘You may be one of those people who believes in the integrity and honesty of the entertainment industry, but I gave up that ghost before I even stopped believing in the tooth fairy.’
- ‘There was not a family value they did not stand for: Easter, Christmas holidays, the tooth fairy - you name it, they were for it.’
- ‘On the one hand, I'm completely devoid of religious sentiment, and indeed I find it bewildering that anyone past the age of eight could retain a belief in God any more than in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy.’
- ‘She put it under her pillow and the tooth fairy delivered… £10.’
- ‘I uncovered lots more money superstitions, including embedding silver coins in Christmas puddings, the tooth fairy, and the fact that actors are superstitious about using real money on stage.’
- ‘Having denied the existence of anything mythological to my four children, from the zodiac down to the tooth fairy, I learn that it is advised to return to a quasi-Victorian world where sentimentality rules.’
- ‘Because I never want to take away the wonderful relationship that children have with - with the tooth fairy until they begin to question it themselves.’
- ‘No, she was upset that I didn't bring the shattered fragments of my tooth back home and put them under my pillow in order to make a little money from the tooth fairy.’
- ‘What ends up happening is she goes on a mission to rid the world of the tooth fairy because she doesn't want to lose her teeth and she believes the tooth fairy is responsible.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.