One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A young man who attends schoolies week with the aim of having sex with female school leavers, despite not being a school leaver himself.‘if you're a schoolie and you get a toolie to buy you a drink you could both be fined $5000’
- ‘Several toolies were charged with drug offences and sent packing by police in a busy night of schoolies celebrations.’
- ‘Toolies have targeted schoolies in a series of brawls in Lorne's main street, a popular hub for school-leavers in Victoria.’
- ‘The pair were dubbed the first official "toolies" of the Schoolies season after being spotted partying together in a roped off section of a Surfers Paradise nightclub.’
- ‘Bali has its own international brand of Toolies who arrive seeking romantic encounters with the often-vulnerable school leavers.’
- ‘The capsicum spray was used to break up a large fight between schoolies and over-aged "toolies" about 10pm on Saturday.’
- ‘Toolies were selling low-quality drugs to desperate teens.’
- ‘All ferries to and from Rottnest were cancelled on Thursday because of wild weather, leaving hundreds of schoolies - and probably a few toolies - stranded until Friday when ferry services will resume.’
- ‘Only hours before he had visited hotels and private rentals to warn revellers about behaving badly and the threat of toolies.’
- ‘Naive teenagers might be forgiven for boasting about their drunken Schoolies exploits, but what excuse do these adult "toolies" have?’
- ‘Toolies also continued to cause problems for police, with 27 arrests made on 33 charges, mainly for drug and street offences.’
Early 21st century: from tool ‘a stupid, irritating, or contemptible man’+ -ie, after schoolie.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.