One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation of the tonsils.
- ‘A two-year-old child with acute tonsillitis and otitis media had been infected by his babysitter.’
- ‘Bacterial tonsillitis can be treated with antibiotics, but viral tonsillitis cannot.’
- ‘Peritonsillar abscess is a suppurative complication of pharyngitis or tonsillitis.’
- ‘In infants, tonsillitis may include symptoms that appear to be less focused on the throat, such as poor feeding, runny nose, and a slight fever.’
- ‘Why does one person experience headaches and sore throats whereas another has migraines and tonsillitis?’
- ‘She was diagnosed with liver damage almost a year ago, and has also suffered from extreme tiredness and a series of illnesses including chicken pox, tonsillitis, flu and glandular fever.’
- ‘Other conditions that can cause fevers are tonsillitis, kidney or urinary infections, or any of the common childhood diseases such as measles, mumps, chicken pox and whooping cough.’
- ‘If you suspect tonsillitis, contact your child's doctor.’
- ‘At first, glandular fever is sometimes wrongly diagnosed, for example as a bacterial throat infection or tonsillitis.’
- ‘Conversely someone who generally has good health might experience a significant impact on their quality of life from a relatively minor illness, such as tonsillitis, because they have high expectations of their health.’
- ‘When tonsillitis is caused by viruses, the length of illness depends on which virus is involved.’
- ‘Three weeks earlier he had had tonsillitis, fever, and diarrhoea.’
- ‘In my clinic I treat acute illnesses such as tonsillitis and colic, to mental and emotional conditions.’
- ‘Smoking, tonsillitis, diseases of the lungs and air passages, kidney dysfunctions, and leukemia also are among possible medical causes of undesirable mouth odors.’
- ‘Also it is linked with asthma, tonsillitis, digestive disorders, eczema and even cataracts, breast and prostrate cancer.’
- ‘Swollen adenoids are often associated with tonsillitis (infected tonsils) and are usually removed as part of an operation to remove the tonsils.’
- ‘If your child's doctor has prescribed antibiotics for strep tonsillitis, make sure that your child takes all doses on schedule for as many days as the doctor has directed.’
- ‘She is otherwise of good health and had no history of recurrent tonsillitis or diabetes mellitus.’
- ‘But they said it was just tonsillitis or glandular fever and they sent us home.’
- ‘Nevertheless, recently it has been used with some success to treat recurrent otitis media and prevent recurrences of streptococcal tonsillitis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.