Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of two small masses of lymphoid tissue in the throat, one on each side of the root of the tongue.
- ‘This throat membrane usually covers the tonsils and is a dirty grey colour.’
- ‘The tonsils and the back of the throat may look red, swollen, and dotted with whitish or yellowish specks of pus.’
- ‘The major parts of the system are the bone marrow, spleen, thymus gland, lymph nodes, and the tonsils.’
- ‘Enlarged adenoids or tonsils, which are at the back of the throat, may block the Eustachian tube.’
- ‘This will help prevent complications such as rheumatic fever or an abscess around the tonsils.’
- ‘A programme of testing several thousand pathological specimens of appendixes and tonsils was started.’
- ‘The tonsils were moderately enlarged with no deviation of the uvula.’
- ‘If the abscess is located in the distal part of the tonsil, puncture of the carotid artery can occur.’
- ‘The problem can sometimes be fixed if the tonsils are taken out, if a machine is used to help breathing at night, or if the child loses weight.’
- ‘Sometimes a secondary bacterial infection of the tonsils occurs, and this is usually treated with the antibiotic penicillin.’
- ‘It is possible that the ‘breath holding’ episodes the child exhibited previously were in fact intermittent and momentary obstruction of the glottis by the tonsil.’
- ‘Other parts of the lymphatic system are the spleen, thymus, bone marrow and tonsils.’
- ‘Sometimes surgery is needed to remove tonsils or extra tissue from the throat.’
- ‘Oral cancers occur in the mouth and the back of the throat, the tonsil, tongue, lip and voice box.’
- ‘Doctors cannot usually tell the difference just by looking at the tonsils.’
- ‘The tonsils are the two masses of tissue on either side of the back of the throat.’
- ‘The tonsils normally help to filter out bacteria and other microorganisms to aid the body in fighting infection.’
- ‘Surgical removal of tonsils, nasal polyps or other tissue impinging on the airway also may relieve sleep apnea.’
- ‘If the throat is narrower to start with, for example because the tonsils are enlarged, it is easier for the throat muscles to close and block the airway.’
- ‘Perhaps if I do relent and have them out, I should also book in to have my tonsils and appendix removed as well, just in case.’
Late 16th century: from French tonsilles or Latin tonsillae (plural).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.