A membrane which bounds the chief vacuole of a plant cell.
- ‘However, these cells had a continuous layer of smooth plasma membrane, and central vacuoles had distinct tonoplasts.’
- ‘The tonoplast of K. daigremontiana mesophyll cells exhibits circadian behaviour of malate retention under constant darkness.’
- ‘MIPs are abundant proteins localized to the plasma membrane, the tonoplast, or other endomembranes of plant cells.’
- ‘The black material at the left edge of the micrograph is vacuolar tannin lining the tonoplast.’
- ‘Aquaporins mediate the bidirectional passage of water over membranes and are present in tonoplasts and in plasma membranes of plant cells.’
Late 19th century: from Greek tonos tension, tone + plastos formed.