Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Next, Afridi swept one powerfully over midwicket, and later in the same tonked one over wide long-on.’
- ‘Now, however, the first day is actually strokemaking prime-time, with the ball coming nicely onto the bat, begging to be tonked for four.’
- ‘He tonked the third ball he faced in international cricket into the stands over long-on, and followed that up with a bludgeoned straight drive that gave mid-off no chance.’
- 1.1 Defeat heavily; trounce.‘Villa were tonked by local rivals Birmingham City’
- ‘After last year's debacle, when she was tonked by little known Jelena Dokic in the first round, the only way is up for Hingis at Wimbledon.’
- ‘Ivory Coast may well tonk Holland today.’
- ‘Even if they are tonked, the fixture will gladden hearts in a few towns in Patagonia, where descendants of Welsh settlers still speak Welsh and hold eisteddfods.’
- ‘I certainly got tonked game after game, albeit by a stronger player.’
- ‘England have tonked the West Indies for their first series victory in the Caribbean for 36 years.’
- ‘They began by tonking Ecuador 9-1 and finished by hammering Paraguay 7-0 in the final.’
- ‘Last year they absolutely tonked us there, 6-2.’
- ‘While Banstead were being tonked by league leaders Reigate Priory, Cheam also lost to last season's champions Wimbledon to claim the second relegation spot.’
- ‘I decided to have a cup of tea and watch England get tonked by India in the cricket instead.’
- ‘Birmingham have gone and got tonked by Spurs and that shows you what football is all about at this level.’
- ‘It's all Chelsea at the moment and has been since I said they were going to get tonked.’
Early 20th century: imitative of the sound of a powerful blow reaching its target.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.