Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A carbonated soft drink with a bitter flavour, used as a mixer with gin or other spirits (originally used as a stimulant of appetite and digestion)‘a bottle of tonic water’→ tonic[count noun] ‘the taste of different tonic waters’
- ‘The critic's choice of vegetarian spring rolls, vegetarian curry, and vegetable stir-fry accompanied by tonic water and draft beer doesn't really sound like quality.’
- ‘148 undergraduate students were given tonic water, but half were told they were drinking vodka.’
- ‘I was drinking large quantities of tonic water, which contains quinine, when this started.’
- ‘She said I should drink tonic water, which has quinine in it.’
- ‘Soda water, seltzer water and tonic water are not considered bottled waters.’
- ‘I'm now drunk on gin and peach flavoured diet tonic water.’
- ‘Pour the remaining vodka, tonic water and lemon juice into a bowl and stir in the gelatine mixture.’
- ‘Liza was also very fond of toast, oranges, and tonic water and her pink fluffy slippers that she never seemed to be without.’
- ‘The quinine-laced tonic water was proscribed as a malaria preventive, and the ingenious troops found adding gin made the nasty stuff slide right down.’
- ‘When tested later, the memory of those who drank vodka was significantly impaired compared with the memory of those who drank tonic water.’
- ‘The basic mixers are cola, lemon-lime soda, tonic water, soda water, orange juice, cranberry juice, tomato juice, ginger ale and grapefruit juice.’
- ‘I was told tonic water would stop leg cramps because of the quinine.’
- ‘When we want tonic water, we will ask for tonic water.’
- ‘If I take a couple swigs of tonic water, that may help.’
- ‘A vodka tonic there meant a glass of cheap vodka and a bottle of tonic water.’
- ‘If you have mixed drinks, use mixers that are sugar-free, such as diet soda, tonic water, club soda or seltzer.’
- ‘Others report that drinking tonic water or taking a B-complex vitamin can prevent cramps.’
- ‘For example, adding salt to tonic water suppresses the bitterness and makes it taste sweeter.’
- ‘Add a spritz of your favorite juice to flavored seltzer water or diet tonic water.’
- ‘One doctor told me to drink tonic water for its quinine, but it doesn't seem to help.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.