Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a voice or musical sound) lacking expression or interest:‘he began to sing in a toneless voice’
unemotional, unfeeling, dispassionate, passionlessView synonyms
- ‘Gregory's voice had gotten softer, and was no longer completely toneless.’
- ‘They read their confessions in toneless voices.’
- ‘Now, as I hear that same toneless voice, fear grips me so tightly that I can barely breathe.’
- ‘Pity suffused her voice for a moment, then melted away leaving behind an oddly toneless quality.’
- ‘She hardly recognized the cold, toneless voice coming out of her at that moment, and it scared her.’
- ‘‘I get the message,’ he said in a deep and toneless voice.’
- ‘These words were toneless, expressionless, like everything around us.’
- ‘‘Okay,’ said the toneless voice from the living room.’
- ‘This is an almost funny music video for a toneless punk-metal song.’
- ‘The narrative is driven almost completely by toneless voiceovers, and violence, needless to say, simmers and moans forever beneath the film's surface.’
- ‘She shouted it over and over in her toneless voice.’
- ‘The voice still sounded more or less as one would expect for a man of his age: worn, unsupported, and breathless, the characteristic timbre dried up and toneless.’
- ‘The intolerable toneless monologues of the last few auditions made a couple of people go to sleep.’
- ‘‘I don't want to hear it,’ she said, her voice flat, toneless.’
- ‘The lead singer has traded his toneless, dark singing style for a scratchy, emotive whisper, and the band's sound is more open and melodic.’
- ‘His voice was toneless, but his expression was sceptical.’
- ‘Her eyes were blank, looking somewhere far away, and her voice was toneless.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.