Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A language in which variations in pitch distinguish different words.
- ‘The Tlingit language is a tone language that has 24 sounds not found in English.’
- ‘Krio is non-rhotic, syllable-timed, and a tone language.’
- ‘What we needed, then, were real examples of spontaneously written text in a tone language that, like Efik, has no written literary tradition of its own.’
- ‘There are a vast number of languages that are known as tone languages or tonal languages.’
- ‘Only a worldwide, comparative program of experiments can resolve the question of whether to mark tones in any given tone language at all, and if so, how much.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.