One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A language in which variations in pitch distinguish different words.
- ‘What we needed, then, were real examples of spontaneously written text in a tone language that, like Efik, has no written literary tradition of its own.’
- ‘Only a worldwide, comparative program of experiments can resolve the question of whether to mark tones in any given tone language at all, and if so, how much.’
- ‘The Tlingit language is a tone language that has 24 sounds not found in English.’
- ‘There are a vast number of languages that are known as tone languages or tonal languages.’
- ‘Krio is non-rhotic, syllable-timed, and a tone language.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.