One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The movable arm supporting the pickup of a record player.
- ‘The team discarded the tone arm and stylus cartridge, and replaced them with an optical delivery system or ‘optical head’ designed and constructed by the technical team.’
- ‘Reprogramming the satellite corrected the problem and now our tone arm is providing us with a listening experience unparalleled in hi-fi depth, clarity, and stereo soundstage.’
- ‘We picked up the tone arm and played it again and again.’
- ‘In addition to its assorted vibration-damping technologies, the tone arm allows you to dial in the sound with each platter by adjusting arm height, called VTA, on the fly.’
- ‘Its rudimentary suspension couldn't possibly cushion the tone arm from even the slightest road shocks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.