Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The movable arm supporting the pickup of a record player.
- ‘Reprogramming the satellite corrected the problem and now our tone arm is providing us with a listening experience unparalleled in hi-fi depth, clarity, and stereo soundstage.’
- ‘Its rudimentary suspension couldn't possibly cushion the tone arm from even the slightest road shocks.’
- ‘In addition to its assorted vibration-damping technologies, the tone arm allows you to dial in the sound with each platter by adjusting arm height, called VTA, on the fly.’
- ‘We picked up the tone arm and played it again and again.’
- ‘The team discarded the tone arm and stylus cartridge, and replaced them with an optical delivery system or ‘optical head’ designed and constructed by the technical team.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.