One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a fabric or design) dyed with or using different shades of the same colour.
- ‘Consider a stitch sampler, using various threads and stitches, or a tone-on-tone patch.’
- ‘Monochromatic microprints replace last year's geometric and graffiti prints, the tone-on-tone effects playing with details like layering and draping, as well as offbeat fabric mixes.’
- ‘The line featured several uses of the very popular tone-on-tone look, where the shirt and tie are the same color.’
- ‘Remaining optimistic, the brothers are focused on their fall line that will feature tone-on-tone colors, matching shirts and suits, and striped ties.’
- ‘In addition to the textured designs, manufacturers are also reporting strong interest in tone-on-tone looks, where different shades of a color have been incorporated into a pattern.’
- ‘‘Mercerized cotton damasks are the hardest for us to capture accurately,’ adds the photographer, noting that shiny fabrics, subtle textures, and tone-on-tone designs require some photographic tricks.’
- ‘Tweedy or heathery tone-on-tone designs would fit in here.’
- ‘With solids, tone-on-tone is the preferred option.’
- ‘Shadow definition is pretty good, and tone-on-tone areas like jacket lapels show up much more clearly here than in some other releases.’
- ‘Many solid-colored ties also feature tone-on-tone prints in the background.’
- ‘In a hue slightly darker than the fabric, stamp a design to create a tone-on-tone background that looks like a commercially printed fabric.’
- ‘If you don't want to go beyond white, update your color with tone-on-tone neutrals like ecru, oyster, almond or biscuit.’
- ‘Once again, contrast piping or tone-on-tone jacquard prints are a great way to break up the monotony of solids.’
- ‘There is a new subtlety to beading and embellishment, with tone-on-tone work dominating.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.