Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A popular name for any of a number of small active songbirds.
- ‘In this area you may see the brown creeper, tomtit, robin, bellbird, rifleman, wood pigeon, falcon and kea.’
- ‘The bush has abundant bird life, including the bellbird, tomtit, rifleman, wood pigeon and grey warbler.’
- ‘There are fernbirds and tomtits that should also return.’
- ‘Forest parrots/kaka came down to see the visitors, and there were lots of tomtits / ngirungiru, fantails/piwakawaka, bellbirds/korimako and tuis.’
- ‘There we were introduced to matai and totara and other natives, and also to birds - tomtits, warblers and fantails.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.