One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A popular name for any of a number of small active songbirds.
(British) the blue tit.
(Australian) the yellow-tailed thornbill (Acanthiza chrysorrhoa, family Acanthizidae).
(NZ) the black-and-white New Zealand tit (Petroica macrocephala, family Eopsaltridae).
- ‘The bush has abundant bird life, including the bellbird, tomtit, rifleman, wood pigeon and grey warbler.’
- ‘In this area you may see the brown creeper, tomtit, robin, bellbird, rifleman, wood pigeon, falcon and kea.’
- ‘There are fernbirds and tomtits that should also return.’
- ‘Forest parrots/kaka came down to see the visitors, and there were lots of tomtits / ngirungiru, fantails/piwakawaka, bellbirds/korimako and tuis.’
- ‘There we were introduced to matai and totara and other natives, and also to birds - tomtits, warblers and fantails.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.