One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A technique for displaying a representation of a cross section through a human body or other solid object using X-rays or ultrasound.
- ‘They can be treated by percutaneous drainage guided by ultrasonography or computed tomography if the pancreatic injury was minor.’
- ‘Ultrasonography and computed tomography will show the size, position, and number of liver cysts and any extrahepatic cysts.’
- ‘We used plain radiography or computed tomography to diagnose pneumonia.’
- ‘Ultrasonography and computed tomography are the imaging studies of choice.’
- ‘The diagnosis may be confirmed with plain radiography, computed tomography, or endoscopy.’
1930s: from Greek tomos ‘slice, section’ + -graphy.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.