One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A British private soldier.
private soldier, common soldierView synonyms
- ‘We do get on well because the Tommies did liberate Crete, but what they did immediately afterwards was not made public.’
- ‘That opening stutter of the Mars theme is just a musical interpretation of machine guns; you can see the jerky film of the Tommies going over the top, tripping over the barbed wire and being cut down.’
- ‘But didn't he, by running those fake pictures, put lives of Tommies at risk?’
- ‘I fled and a few days later I scaled a fence - and dropped at the feet of two Tommies.’
- ‘All the visitors born in the war admitted their perceptions had been largely shaped by comics such as Victor and Tiger, where lone Tommies ventured behind enemy lines to blow up an ammunition dump and return with a captured SS general.’
- ‘France at that time, he says, was full of former Tommies on the run, many of whom had taken up with local girls.’
- ‘But they did make it, and met up with some Tommies, who pointed out which way to go.’
- ‘On either side of them the Tommies were relieved 2 & 3 times.’
- ‘Thousands of British Tommies passed through on their way from or to the frontline.’
- ‘The Tommies, the British soldiers, they would sing to the melody of ‘Auld Lang Syne.’’
- ‘She does this not with hackneyed images of shell-shocked Tommies, but principally through simple visual metaphor.’
- ‘In March 1917 he received one of those wounds named affectionately by Tommies as a ‘Blighty’ wound - bad enough for you to be sent back home but not bad enough to keep you incapacitated for ever.’
- ‘The time is ripe over here for a revival of the song the British Tommies liked to sing on the way to the trenches.’
- ‘An Irish giant, with his officers and brother Tommies dying and dead around him, he continued the task he had set himself of clearing a way through the Turkish wire.’
2A Thomson's gazelle.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.