One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small edible greenish-brown North American fish of the cod family, popular with anglers.
- ‘Some of the predatory fish of the ecozone are brook trout and Atlantic tomcod.’
- ‘Microgadus tomcod is a close relation of the cod but much smaller and found only in the NW Atlantic, from Labrador down to Virginia.’
- ‘Finally, there was a September eel fishery in the rivers that sustained large runs of these catadromous fish, followed by fall hunting for elk and beavers, and by December, ice-fishing for tomcod.’
- ‘The atlantic tomcod is one of the predators here, preying on such species as rainbow smelt and mummichog.’
- ‘Common fish species in the area include atlantic tomcod, mummichog, redfish, herring, silver hake, Greenland halibut, and the dangerously overfished northern cod.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.