One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the Torres Strait Islands) a ceremony held to mark the unveiling of a gravestone.‘a tombstone opening brings together kin who may normally live scattered all over Australia’
- ‘When a significant person in the community dies, the family begins saving for the tombstone opening.’
- ‘In recent years, some tombstone openings in the home islands have assumed the status of major cultural events.’
- ‘Tombstone openings are an element of continuity today in a constantly changing world.’
- ‘Perhaps the most universal and powerful reminder today of the continued existence of the old spirituality is the tombstone opening.’
- ‘At tombstone openings Islanders appear as one, united by their Custom and their kinship.’
- ‘Many individuals were found to engage in 'temporary' entrepreneurship to raise extra money for one-off cultural events like tombstone openings, weddings, sporting carnivals, and concerts.’
- ‘She was pestering me to go and film the tombstone opening, so I got a crew together.’
- ‘Most tombstone openings cost no more than $4,000, but it is estimated that one recent event cost more than $30,000.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.