One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the Torres Strait Islands) a ceremony held to mark the unveiling of a gravestone.‘a tombstone opening brings together kin who may normally live scattered all over Australia’
- ‘When a significant person in the community dies, the family begins saving for the tombstone opening.’
- ‘At tombstone openings Islanders appear as one, united by their Custom and their kinship.’
- ‘Many individuals were found to engage in 'temporary' entrepreneurship to raise extra money for one-off cultural events like tombstone openings, weddings, sporting carnivals, and concerts.’
- ‘She was pestering me to go and film the tombstone opening, so I got a crew together.’
- ‘Most tombstone openings cost no more than $4,000, but it is estimated that one recent event cost more than $30,000.’
- ‘In recent years, some tombstone openings in the home islands have assumed the status of major cultural events.’
- ‘Tombstone openings are an element of continuity today in a constantly changing world.’
- ‘Perhaps the most universal and powerful reminder today of the continued existence of the old spirituality is the tombstone opening.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.