Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A road that drivers must pay to use.
- ‘Now the local Department of Transportation has opened up the current carpool lane that runs along half of my route home to single drivers as a toll road.’
- ‘He said motorists would be able to reach the road via the Jakarta-Merak toll road, and from Serpong and Lippo Karawaci.’
- ‘The expressway is being built by the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, which is operating it as a toll road.’
- ‘I believe both the interchange and a toll road would greatly alleviate the existing traffic problems experienced by regular commuters.’
- ‘I missed the M6 toll road and had to go up and down the M6 to rejoin it.’
- ‘If the scheme is sanctioned, it will become Labour's first toll road - as the existing M6 Toll was a Conservative initiative.’
- ‘It will be completed in 18 months and will function as a toll road.’
- ‘Wilkinson also questioned the necessity of the road in light of the proposed N2 toll road from East London to Durban.’
- ‘At the end of the day the political ideology that says we must not have a toll road has won the day.’
- ‘The company's first toll road went into operation in 1989.’
- ‘Even for those who do not pay, a toll road means less traffic on the toll-free road.’
- ‘For a couple of hours, we joked and talked with each other through greater Chicago traffic, until we finally came to a welcome toll road.’
- ‘Interestingly, the original circuit always has been officially considered a one-way public toll road.’
- ‘As per the draft Master Plan, there is a green wedge of 11, 294 acres between the toll road and the peripheral road.’
- ‘Motorists could in future be given the option of taking an express toll road or a slower un-tolled road, between Johannesburg and Pretoria.’
- ‘The preferred route for the toll road would bisect San Onofre State Park and cross part of the critical habitat for the toad.’
- ‘The 407 was built as a toll road by the New Democrats under a private/public partnership for about $1.5 billion.’
- ‘But scarcely 20 miles away, a new four-lane toll road is a giant step backward.’
- ‘The M6 scheme would be the first public toll road in the country, but will be preceded by the private toll road currently being built around Birmingham.’
- ‘The environmental documents fail to take into account the noise and visual impacts of the toll road on the recreational experience.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.