One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A road that drivers must pay to use.
- ‘At the end of the day the political ideology that says we must not have a toll road has won the day.’
- ‘For a couple of hours, we joked and talked with each other through greater Chicago traffic, until we finally came to a welcome toll road.’
- ‘Now the local Department of Transportation has opened up the current carpool lane that runs along half of my route home to single drivers as a toll road.’
- ‘The company's first toll road went into operation in 1989.’
- ‘He said motorists would be able to reach the road via the Jakarta-Merak toll road, and from Serpong and Lippo Karawaci.’
- ‘Even for those who do not pay, a toll road means less traffic on the toll-free road.’
- ‘The 407 was built as a toll road by the New Democrats under a private/public partnership for about $1.5 billion.’
- ‘Interestingly, the original circuit always has been officially considered a one-way public toll road.’
- ‘The M6 scheme would be the first public toll road in the country, but will be preceded by the private toll road currently being built around Birmingham.’
- ‘It will be completed in 18 months and will function as a toll road.’
- ‘I missed the M6 toll road and had to go up and down the M6 to rejoin it.’
- ‘As per the draft Master Plan, there is a green wedge of 11, 294 acres between the toll road and the peripheral road.’
- ‘The preferred route for the toll road would bisect San Onofre State Park and cross part of the critical habitat for the toad.’
- ‘The expressway is being built by the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, which is operating it as a toll road.’
- ‘The environmental documents fail to take into account the noise and visual impacts of the toll road on the recreational experience.’
- ‘Wilkinson also questioned the necessity of the road in light of the proposed N2 toll road from East London to Durban.’
- ‘If the scheme is sanctioned, it will become Labour's first toll road - as the existing M6 Toll was a Conservative initiative.’
- ‘I believe both the interchange and a toll road would greatly alleviate the existing traffic problems experienced by regular commuters.’
- ‘But scarcely 20 miles away, a new four-lane toll road is a giant step backward.’
- ‘Motorists could in future be given the option of taking an express toll road or a slower un-tolled road, between Johannesburg and Pretoria.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.