One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bridge where drivers or pedestrians must pay to cross.
- ‘The controversial toll bridge linking the Kyle of Lochalsh and Skye opened in October 1995.’
- ‘Exactly the same thing happened two years ago when the toll bridge was completely closed for a weekend for resurfacing work.’
- ‘It is barely getting sufficient funds to man the toll bridge.’
- ‘Delays caused by motorists queuing to pay at the Westlink toll bridge are seen as the major reason for regular gridlock on the M50 during peak-time traffic, despite the opening of a second bridge over the River Liffey last year.’
- ‘The heart of the park is at the bend in the river called Bridgeport, where a restored covered bridge - built in 1862 as a toll bridge for wagons and livestock - stretches 229 feet across the river.’
- ‘Although regular users of the toll bridge can already pay electronically by having a pass card, it still requires cars to stop briefly at the barrier, thereby causing traffic tailbacks.’
- ‘Most critics of the tolling scheme highlighted the existing delays caused by the toll bridge at the West Link bridge in Dublin as a reason for keeping the M4 free of charge.’
- ‘This is the part of the journey that appeals to my sadistic side - glancing through the windscreens at the faces of frustrated drivers stuck in the queue waiting to cross the toll bridge.’
- ‘Charges at an ancient toll bridge used by 700,000 vehicles a year will rocket by up to 166 per cent to save the bridge company from financial ruin.’
- ‘The airstrip on Skye, about three miles south of the toll bridge which connects the island to the mainland, was built by the Royal Engineers in 1973.’
- ‘Sue gave me two bucks cash so I could pay for the toll bridge.’
- ‘This is Ha'penny Bridge House, close to the site of an old toll bridge that was destroyed by floods in 1994.’
- ‘They were making the crossing by boat because the toll bridge had broken down, he said.’
- ‘Ian says the new Selby bypass will bring in extra trade from those who didn't want to cross the toll bridge before.’
- ‘We can see that many homeless people reside under the toll bridge and live in shabby makeshift slums.’
- ‘It was not until the 1970s that the toll bridge was rebuilt and strengthened with iron.’
- ‘The Snowden Bridge was the only toll bridge in Montana.’
- ‘This legislation will allow Tauranga to get its second harbour bridge, as a toll bridge.’
- ‘In 1800, along with Connellsville founder Zachariah Connell, Meason was authorized by the state Legislature to build a toll bridge across the Youghiogheny River.’
- ‘I'm sitting in traffic northbound on the M50 toll bridge not going anywhere fast.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.