One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bridge where drivers or pedestrians must pay to cross.
- ‘Delays caused by motorists queuing to pay at the Westlink toll bridge are seen as the major reason for regular gridlock on the M50 during peak-time traffic, despite the opening of a second bridge over the River Liffey last year.’
- ‘Ian says the new Selby bypass will bring in extra trade from those who didn't want to cross the toll bridge before.’
- ‘The airstrip on Skye, about three miles south of the toll bridge which connects the island to the mainland, was built by the Royal Engineers in 1973.’
- ‘In 1800, along with Connellsville founder Zachariah Connell, Meason was authorized by the state Legislature to build a toll bridge across the Youghiogheny River.’
- ‘This legislation will allow Tauranga to get its second harbour bridge, as a toll bridge.’
- ‘Sue gave me two bucks cash so I could pay for the toll bridge.’
- ‘I'm sitting in traffic northbound on the M50 toll bridge not going anywhere fast.’
- ‘This is the part of the journey that appeals to my sadistic side - glancing through the windscreens at the faces of frustrated drivers stuck in the queue waiting to cross the toll bridge.’
- ‘The Snowden Bridge was the only toll bridge in Montana.’
- ‘We can see that many homeless people reside under the toll bridge and live in shabby makeshift slums.’
- ‘The heart of the park is at the bend in the river called Bridgeport, where a restored covered bridge - built in 1862 as a toll bridge for wagons and livestock - stretches 229 feet across the river.’
- ‘Charges at an ancient toll bridge used by 700,000 vehicles a year will rocket by up to 166 per cent to save the bridge company from financial ruin.’
- ‘Although regular users of the toll bridge can already pay electronically by having a pass card, it still requires cars to stop briefly at the barrier, thereby causing traffic tailbacks.’
- ‘Most critics of the tolling scheme highlighted the existing delays caused by the toll bridge at the West Link bridge in Dublin as a reason for keeping the M4 free of charge.’
- ‘The controversial toll bridge linking the Kyle of Lochalsh and Skye opened in October 1995.’
- ‘It is barely getting sufficient funds to man the toll bridge.’
- ‘This is Ha'penny Bridge House, close to the site of an old toll bridge that was destroyed by floods in 1994.’
- ‘Exactly the same thing happened two years ago when the toll bridge was completely closed for a weekend for resurfacing work.’
- ‘They were making the crossing by boat because the toll bridge had broken down, he said.’
- ‘It was not until the 1970s that the toll bridge was rebuilt and strengthened with iron.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.