One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dose of something toxic, in particular of nuclear radiation, believed to be the maximum that can be taken without harm.
- ‘Perhaps it is only near tolerance doses that the ascorbate is pushed into the primary sites of the disease.’
- ‘Some were so radioactive in the first few days after the blast that the daily tolerance dose of 0.1 roentgen per day was reached in less than a minute.’
- ‘For example clinical hepatitis may not be evident when treating part of the liver beyond the tolerance dose as the rest of the liver is still functioning normally.’
- ‘Bowel tolerance doses are the amounts of ascorbic acid tolerated orally that almost, but not quite, cause diarrhea.’
- ‘One needs to treat to a tolerance dose because undertreatment will be useless.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.