One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The process of washing oneself, dressing, and attending to one's appearance.‘Emily got up to begin her morning toilette’
washing, bathing, showeringView synonyms
- ‘He drew Saskia in her bath, at her toilette, looking after her son Titus, getting out of bed, preparing food.’
- ‘I performed a perfunctory toilette and went in search of him.’
- ‘She still approaches her daily toilette with all the excitement of a seven-year-old let loose in her mum's make-up bag.’
- ‘I should have been inspired by his example to go shave carefully and perform a thorough toilette; instead I dashed under the shower and left the stubble for tomorrow.’
- ‘Caroline finished her toilette by herself, wearing a simple morning frock of blue.’
Late 17th century: French (see toilet).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.