One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of steel or leather constituting or fitted over the front part of a boot or shoe as protection or reinforcement.
- ‘External safety toecaps are permitted as an alternative to protective footwear when a medical condition prevents a worker from wearing normal protective footwear.’
- ‘The boots had steel toecaps which were designed to protect the claimant in the course of his employment from injury to his toes.’
- ‘He will face speeds of up to 80 mph as he goes head first down the run on a solo toboggan, with only serrated metal toecaps acting as brakes.’
- ‘New faces fill empty spaces where a battalion of fallen MPs once sat, and the arbitrary brutality of a reshuffle reminds the ranks who wears the steel toecaps of power.’
- ‘They were brand new, under twenty quid with steel toecaps and they've served me well this last month but they do take a while to dry.’
- ‘‘You need steel toecaps and hard hats for a viewing,’ he says.’
- ‘Who makes mens boots with an aluminium or lightweight toecap?’
- ‘Haig wondered how he managed to resist the usual urge to plant a toecap on such an inviting target.’
- ‘In my day the boots were made from tough leather with a very hard leather toecap and leather studs nailed into the sole and heel.’
- ‘These are great, clumping, virtuous blocks of stiff leather with bulbous reinforced toecaps, designed never to wear out.’
- ‘The boulder I had capped had broken into several smaller and sharper pieces, which had fallen about a metre through the gap in the bottom of the bars, missed my steel toecap and gone direct for the bridge of my foot.’
- ‘He suffered injury by frostbite when, ice and snow entered his boot through a minute and unperceived hole in the toecap and, in the extreme weather conditions existing, the claimant got frostbite in his toe.’
- ‘The upper is made from abrasion resistant action nubuck and has a flexible thermoplastic rubber toecap for durability.’
- ‘Why didn't you give it a kick, you've got steel toecaps?’
- ‘My face was barely three feet from the lovingly shined toecaps of the royal boots when the prince was ushered into the pulpit to read the lesson.’
- ‘Most designers felt incorrectly, that simply inserting a steel toecap in their conventional riding boot was sufficient to give the rider adequate foot protection.’
- ‘Comfortable and durable, these smart sneakers are made from subtle leather and feature fine stitching, with matching rubber toecap and midsole.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.