One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A monetary unit of Papua New Guinea, equal to one hundredth of a kina.
- ‘The other traditional shell currency is the toea, a circle of shell cut with bamboo.’
- ‘The Kina replaced the Australian Dollar and the toea replaced the Australian cent.’
- ‘Men at the plant were paid an hourly rate of 80 toea and women 64 toea.’
- ‘A lottery determined by the Commissioner-General to be a foreign lottery is 50 toea per ticket.’
- ‘This was even better in 1988 when the gross dividend per one kina share was 27 toea.’
Motu, literally ‘cone-shaped shell’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.