One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A clip on a bicycle pedal to prevent the foot from slipping.
- ‘Vicky told me months ago I should invest in toe clips.’
- ‘As a regular, it's no surprise to me when classes swell after the holidays, filled with newcomers who take too long adjusting their seats or fussing over toe clips, who ignore instructions or complain loudly about the placement of the fans.’
- ‘Our fatigue test was cycling, which, in our setup without toe clips, can be thought to activate the quadriceps muscle more than the hamstring muscles.’
- ‘You also need a higher-than-normal bottom bracket to prevent toe clips from rubbing against the ground, should you choose to use them.’
- ‘I was going extremely slowly but couldn't get my shoe out of the toe clip.’
- ‘Other causes of foot pain include plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis resulting from a saddle that is too low or self-limiting foot paresthesias caused by tight shoes or toe clips.’
- ‘Specialized cycling shoes use toe clips or sole cleats to attach the stiff shoes to the pedals; a correct fit can prevent foot and ankle problems.’
- ‘Try using toe clips for more emphasis on your calves and hamstrings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.