Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person's buttocks or anus.
buttocks, behind, backside, rear, rear end, seat, haunches, cheeksView synonyms
- ‘So you can wear your tochus on your chest or let the world know you have a shayna punim.’
- ‘Well, between the two of you, you've got me off my tochus to see the film.’
- ‘Well the next day out of her tochus came the pink ribbon that had been tied around the bunny's neck.’
- ‘I had the chutzpah to schlep this cockamamie comp to the shmoozy jacket meeting but I got my tochus kicked and now I feel like a shlamiel.’
- ‘My job consisted of sitting on my tochus and reading for eight straight hours a day.’
Early 20th century: from Yiddish tokhes, from Hebrew tahḍatḇ beneath.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.