One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A rack for holding slices of toast at table.
- ‘I make a BIG pot of coffee and enough toast to engulf the toast rack.’
- ‘Truly revolutionary, though, are Dresser's designs for toast racks, jugs, tureens and suchlike, manufactured in electroplate and ebonised wood.’
- ‘You will be amazed by the elegance of the minimalist teapots and toast racks, which anticipate Bauhaus design by 40 years, and you'll delight in the ceramics, glassware, and watercolours for textile and wallpaper design.’
- ‘‘You have to imagine,’ said Dore-Audibert, ‘the effort it takes to carry a silver tray, preferably a period one, with sugar pot, water pot, toast rack, jam and all the rest.’’
- ‘Now his collection of toast racks, milk jugs and cutlery has been displayed in four glass cabinets in the main corridor of the hospital.’
- 1.1informal A tram or bus with full-width seats and open sides.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.