One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of fishes with a wide flattened head.
Australian term for pufferfish
a chiefly bottom-dwelling large-mouthed fish of warm seas that can produce loud grunts (family Batrachoididae: several genera).
- ‘‘Understanding the mechanisms of how the toadfish survives these toxins will help us develop therapies for stroke, liver disease, heart attack and brain injury,’ said Perez.’
- ‘You look at this fish that has a face only a mother toadfish could love.’
- ‘Accordingly, the swimbladder itself is the source of the most complex forms of sound production in many groups (e.g. toadfishes, searobins and flying gurnards).’
- ‘There were plenty of unusual sightings - I came across dwarf lionfish, stonefish, toadfish, frogfish and a six-striped soapfish, which I later discovered to be quite a toxic species.’
- ‘While toadfish and their swimbladder muscles continue to grow throughout life, the cells appear to continue to divide and remain relatively small.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.