Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A tailless amphibian with a short stout body and short legs, typically having dry warty skin that can exude poison.
- ‘At least 10 of the 16 original species of amphibians (frogs, toads and salamanders) survived the eruption.’
- ‘The skins of some species of frogs and toads secrete an extraordinary array of defensive chemicals when the animals are seized by predators.’
- ‘The sudden arrival of warm wet weather caused a mass night-time migration of frogs, newts and toads to deluge the centre in Barnes.’
- ‘Cane toads are poisonous, ugly-looking large toads that are a major problem in parts of Australia.’
- ‘Fortunately, though, the virus has not proved to be as harmful to salamanders as B. dendrobatidis has been to frogs and toads.’
- ‘As with other toads their skin has a somewhat warty appearance but the distinguishing feature is a dark bar across the head behind the eyes.’
- ‘Dutch police in Leeuwarden are trying to find out if drug addicts raided a pet shop and stole three exotic toads whose warty skin is said to induce hallucinations when licked.’
- ‘The Toad Party was against cruelty to all amphibians - particularly toads - but behind the humour was a serious message of care for the environment.’
- ‘But, because the liver is missing and there's a hole in the toad's body, the blood vessels and lungs burst and the other organs ooze out, he said.’
- ‘The recent warm but wet weather has caused a mass migration of frogs, newts and toads to the Barnes Wetland Centre.’
- ‘The marsh supports American toads, midland painted turtles, Blanding's turtles, snapping turtles, and Lake Erie water snakes.’
- ‘Some amphibians we know today include frogs, toads, newts and salamanders.’
- ‘There are seven categories of fish, including the basking shark, and the same number of amphibians and reptiles such as turtles, toads, lizards and newts.’
- ‘The loam of the junkyard was rich and fertile, streaming with healthy earthworms, mole crickets, and warty toads camouflaged against the ground.’
- ‘There are newts, toads, frogs and fish - all of which birds feed on.’
- ‘The familiar frogs, toads, and salamanders have been present since at least the Jurassic Period.’
- ‘Surrey County Council is leap-frogging into action ready for the annual migration of frogs, toads and newts to their breeding grounds for spawning which takes place from late February to May.’
- ‘Richard and volunteers spent two frantic evenings running up and down the road helping newts, toads and frogs cross the road, fishing them out of drains and covering up the grids.’
- ‘Amphibians such as frogs, toads, and salamanders are undergoing rapid population declines, most likely due to fungal disease, climate change, habitat loss, and pollution.’
- ‘A similar story can be told for several other species of toads, frogs, salamanders, alligators, and turtles around the world.’
2A contemptible or detestable person (used as a general term of abuse)‘you're an arrogant little toad’
wretchbeast, pig, swine, rat, creep, bastard, louse, snake, skunk, dog, weasel, lowlife, scumbag, heel, stinkpot, stinker, bad lot, no-good, son of a bitch, s.o.b., nasty piece of workscrotespalpeenrat fink, fink, schmuckdingokurirassrotter, hound, bounder, cad, blightershit, sod, prickblackguard, dastard, knave, varlet, whoresonView synonyms
- ‘No, Joe, you sniveling toad whose pathetic job it is to lie for other liars.’
- ‘Totally avoid toads like him, and look for a crush who respects girls in general - and you in particular!’
- ‘This snivelling little toad said with utter contempt in his voice, ‘Oh sure the French have culture.’’
Old English tādde, tāda, abbreviation of tādige, of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.