Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
As well as one can.‘Conrad must do his job to the best of his abilities’
- ‘First, let me say that my story happened quite awhile ago and I shall try to the best of my ability to be as factual, and explicit as my memory will permit.’
- ‘A firm believer in God and divinity, she says: ‘Do you work to the best of your ability and leave the rest to Him.’’
- ‘All you can do is train and play to the best of your ability.’
- ‘We believe everything is OK as long as you don't hurt anyone, to the best of your definition of hurt, and to the best of your knowledge.’
- ‘Unless both sides feel that you are representing their interest to the best of your ability, there is no possible way to have any kind of success.’
- ‘In order to do the thing, to the best of your ability and give you the flexibility for the uncertainty that always comes about in combat.’
- ‘The following is, to the best of my ability, a recreation of the factual debate between two of the presenters who shall go unnamed.’
- ‘He puts so much into everything he does that those around him are inspired to perform to the best of their ability: there is such a strong desire not to let him down.’
- ‘You were placed there to correct the situation to the best of your ability, and either your ability or your execution came up short.’
- ‘If you can't, manage them to the best of your ability.’
- ‘I think understanding when to play the exact record at the right time leads to that energy and also practicing, practicing at home and making sure that you know your material and you're able to perform it to the best of your ability.’
- ‘Hanley's advice to anyone who wants to succeed in life is simple: ‘In sport, in business, in life you have to perform to the best of your ability and give everything.’’
- ‘If you're good at what you do, you have the right motivation and you do it to the best of your ability, people respect you and will work with you.’
- ‘My only advice for my sister was to use her military training to the best of her ability and stay strong.’
- ‘But if you do, it should be because you've analyzed the data, to the best of your ability and without wishful thinking; not because you want it to be so.’
- ‘But morale has remained high - as a pro player it should never be difficult to maintain your enthusiasm because you're paid to go out there and perform to the best of your ability.’
- ‘And to the best of your knowledge as you're getting from the airport and maybe the tower, the aircraft right now is simply burning fuel?’
- ‘Enjoy your Monday - to the best of your ability anyhow.’
- ‘You defend your client to the best of your ability.’
- ‘Plant two trees each, and thirdly, do your duty to the best of your ability.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.