One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With no result or effect; pointlessly.‘there's no point in hanging about to no purpose’
pointless, futile, hopeless, fruitless, useless, needless, wasted, in vain, unavailing, aimless, idle, to no purpose, purposeless, worthless, meaningless, valueless, unproductive, unprofitableView synonyms
- ‘Now it has to be pursued with all vigour, usually to no purpose at all.’
- ‘They had possession of the ball in the lineouts and scrummage but to no purpose.’
- ‘This speculation contains three conjectures within the space of one sentence to no purpose.’
- ‘The military were left to fight it out to no purpose whatsoever.’
- ‘A foot high girder ran around the edge of the building, probably just for insurance purposes, since it served next to no purpose.’
- ‘But the Chief Justice said that, if that was the case, a habeas corpus hearing could go on for weeks to no purpose.’
- ‘She lifted her hands to push him away but to no purpose.’
- ‘Your company is burning money, wasting it to no purpose other than stupidity and selfishness.’
- ‘A retrial would not benefit him and would result in heavy costs being incurred and court time wasted to no purpose.’
- ‘They would simply be standing there risking their lives to no purpose.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.