One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without exception.‘to a man, we all took a keen interest in the business’
with no exceptions, without exception, bar none, one and all, everyone, each and every one, unanimously, as oneView synonyms
- ‘Automatons to a man, they seem to be quite unable to step outside the stock responses.’
- ‘Rocket fanatics to a man, they rose to their feet and cheered.’
- ‘The team had played to its full potential by playing outstanding football to a man.’
- ‘In a game where it was a pity to see a loser the Comer boys can feel proud of their performance to a man.’
- ‘We had, to a man, missed the greatest event in the history of football, ever.’
- ‘The orchestra, to a man, played terrifically - the best I have heard it yet.’
- ‘Our group, to a man, were extremely well behaved.’
- ‘I went round a number of pits explaining the situation and they backed us to a man.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.