Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a people of SE Nigeria.
- ‘He noted a similar combination of mental processes among the Tiv.’
- ‘This West African form of divination, like that of the Tiv, and the Shona in Zimbabwe, is clearly interpretative but it is also highly interactive and dialogical in that it involves both diviner and client in the process of understanding.’
- ‘They had been sent to quell violence between two local tribes, the Tivs and Jukuns, and the army blames Tiv militias for their deaths.’
- ‘He was one of the first Christian converts among the Tiv of Nigeria.’
- ‘The military intervention is being carried out in the name of restoring peace in the face of inter-tribal clashes between members of the Hausa-Fulani and Tivs.’
2[mass noun] The Benue-Congo language of the Tiv, with about 1.5 million speakers.
- ‘English is the official language; however, Yoruba, Ibo, and Hausa represent the principal languages, joined by Kanuri, Fulani, Nupe, Tiv, Edo, Ijaw and Ibibio.’
Relating to the Tiv or their language.
- ‘Thus, Tiv divining-chain oracles cannot be classified as either strictly inductive or strictly intuitive, but rather interpretative.’
- ‘Another example, probably by the same hand, was published recently with a Benue Valley / Tiv attribution.’
- ‘Unconfirmed reports suggest that Tiv militias are carrying out massacres.’
- ‘The massacres sparked violent outbreaks in the Benue state capital, Makurdi, where angry Tiv students from two universities rampaged through the streets Wednesday, armed with sticks, knives and iron bars.’
- ‘His account of Tiv life under colonialism was the first written in the Tiv language and was translated and edited by Rupert East.’
The name in Tiv.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.