Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Ascertain the amount of a constituent in (a solution) by measuring the volume of a known concentration of reagent required to complete a reaction with it, typically using an indicator:‘the sample is titrated at a pH near 10 with EDTA solution’‘titrate 25 cm³ of this solution against 0.10 M hydrochloric acid’
- ‘To determine the exact concentration, titrating the hydrochloric acid against a solution of base, for example sodium hydroxide, would be appropriate.’
- ‘A specific weight of the compound is titrated with a known concentration of acid or base until the equivalence point has been reached.’
- ‘Aliquots of the peptide solution were titrated to the micelle solution to reach a peptide-to-micelle molar ratio of 1: 220.’
- ‘This solution was titrated with the HSA fragment by adding small amounts of an ~ 0.3 mM protein solution in the aqueous buffer and recording the spectrum after incubation for a few minutes after each addition.’
- ‘The calorimetric profiles were nonlinear with increasing slope for the case when DNA was titrated into lipid solution, and the endpoint was rate dependent.’
- 1.1Medicine Continuously measure and adjust the balance of (a physiological function or drug dosage):‘each patient received intravenous diazepam and pethidine, the doses being titrated according to the response’
- ‘Symptoms include abdominal discomfort, metallic taste, nausea, and diarrhea; these effects are generally transient and can be minimized by taking the drug with meals and titrating the dose slowly.’
- ‘Dosages were titrated for both medications by a treating psychiatrist at weekly follow-up visits.’
- ‘In general, high doses of steroids are required, but the dosage is titrated against the response and kept to the lowest effective dose, given for as short a time as possible.’
- ‘Generally, a longer-acting benzodiazepine such as chlordiazepoxide is used, and the initial dosage is titrated downward according to blood pressure elevation, pulse rate, temperature and psychotic symptoms.’
- ‘The initial dose of ritodrine was 50 mg per minute, and then the dosage was titrated to contractions.’
Late 19th century: from French titrer (from titre in the sense ‘fineness of alloyed gold or silver’) + -ate.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.