One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Ascertain the amount of a constituent in (a solution) by measuring the volume of a known concentration of reagent required to complete a reaction with it, typically using an indicator.‘the sample is titrated at a pH near 10 with EDTA solution’‘titrate 25 cm³ of this solution against 0.10 M hydrochloric acid’
- ‘Aliquots of the peptide solution were titrated to the micelle solution to reach a peptide-to-micelle molar ratio of 1: 220.’
- ‘To determine the exact concentration, titrating the hydrochloric acid against a solution of base, for example sodium hydroxide, would be appropriate.’
- ‘This solution was titrated with the HSA fragment by adding small amounts of an ~ 0.3 mM protein solution in the aqueous buffer and recording the spectrum after incubation for a few minutes after each addition.’
- ‘A specific weight of the compound is titrated with a known concentration of acid or base until the equivalence point has been reached.’
- ‘The calorimetric profiles were nonlinear with increasing slope for the case when DNA was titrated into lipid solution, and the endpoint was rate dependent.’
- 1.1Medicine Continuously measure and adjust the balance of (a physiological function or drug dosage)‘each patient received intravenous diazepam and pethidine, the doses being titrated according to the response’
- ‘In general, high doses of steroids are required, but the dosage is titrated against the response and kept to the lowest effective dose, given for as short a time as possible.’
- ‘The initial dose of ritodrine was 50 mg per minute, and then the dosage was titrated to contractions.’
- ‘Dosages were titrated for both medications by a treating psychiatrist at weekly follow-up visits.’
- ‘Symptoms include abdominal discomfort, metallic taste, nausea, and diarrhea; these effects are generally transient and can be minimized by taking the drug with meals and titrating the dose slowly.’
- ‘Generally, a longer-acting benzodiazepine such as chlordiazepoxide is used, and the initial dosage is titrated downward according to blood pressure elevation, pulse rate, temperature and psychotic symptoms.’
Late 19th century: from French titrer (from titre in the sense ‘fineness of alloyed gold or silver’) + -ate.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.