Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Titles, captions, or subtitles added to something such as a book cover or video.
- ‘So with groups of capitals in titling and subheads, or with small capitals in the flow of text, it's important to separate these letters with extra space.’
- ‘Now Image Entertainment, by arrangement with the copyright holder, has made Midnight available on DVD using source material that has all the original titling and credits intact.’
- ‘However, a group of peasant men challenged the law putting titling in the woman's name, and Costa Rica's supreme court ruled that this was unconstitutional discrimination against men.’
- ‘One complaint about the disc itself; there seems to be an error in the titling.’
- ‘Fortunately, versions were found, but they are very washed-out dupes and although the English dialogue remains, all titling has been replaced with Spanish and Spanish sub-titles have been added.’
Type consisting only of capital letters and figures which are the full height of the type size.
nounScottish, Northern English
The meadow pipit.
Mid 16th century: from tit + -ling.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.