Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The part in a play or film from which the work's title is taken.
- ‘It is the presence of Keanu Reeves in the title role that will initially make or break this above average film at the box office.’
- ‘In the title role, stage great George Hearne makes a menacing yet sympathetic antihero.’
- ‘Will they, encouraged by the performance of Dame Judi Dench in the title role, rush out to sample her novels?’
- ‘Indeed, he manages to strike an incredible balance of the grief and rage in the title role.’
- ‘However, in The Eddy Duchin Story he plays the title role but fails to convey the essence of the man.’
- ‘In the title role, Damon again proves that he has the makeup to be a decent action hero.’
- ‘However, plans are now well in hand for an eight month tour of the UK, with actor/singer Paul Nicholas in the title role.’
- ‘Christopher Plummer starred in the title role, for which he won a Tony Award as Best Actor in a Musical.’
- ‘The cast features Barbara Hershey in the title role, with David Carradine as Big Bill Shelly.’
- ‘He also held his own when he played the title role in The Buster Keaton Story.’
- ‘His last stage role was in the title role in Cameron MacIntosh's production of Oliver at the Palladium.’
- ‘I recently witnessed Cate Blanchett's flawless performance in the title role of this superb film.’
- ‘In the title role in Chaplin, Downey embodies the slapstick genius's distinctive blend of balletic grace and knockabout farce.’
- ‘Before the year is out, he will really test himself with the title role in Oliver Stone's eagerly-awaited epic Alexander.’
- ‘Other theatre roles include the title role in King Lear at the Almeida.’
- ‘In 1973 he directed and performed the title role in Nureyev's film Don Quixote.’
- ‘After the war the Old Vic returned, with Michael Redgrave in the title role.’
- ‘There's one in the pipeline that might just work, and that's Barbarella, with Drew Barrymore in the title role.’
- ‘Most of all, Jake Gyllenhaal's performance in the title role flies in the face of expectations.’
- ‘Othello has been given a new lease of life in recent years by the casting of black actors in the title role.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.