One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is the current champion of a major sports competition.‘the current men's title-holder’
- ‘There is still a long way to go for the golf title-holders but last weekend's marvellous 25-11 victory over Leeds at West Bowling has put the team in a buoyant mood.’
- ‘New Zealand head the Tri-Nations standings on eight points, one ahead of title-holders Australia with Saturday's winner taking the title.’
- ‘Injury and illness to Fallon, the six-time title-holder, saw him concede the championship with three weeks still to go.’
- ‘But he takes over from Mike Atherton for what could prove to be the most important championship match of the season against the title-holders.’
- ‘Joe Louis did and he was more than a title-holder.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.