One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A barn built to hold tithes paid in kind.
- ‘A survey of 1538 describes a number of buildings on site including a huge tithe barn and a ‘house’.’
- ‘Bradford on Avon is also home to a medieval tithe barn.’
- ‘Prince Andrew has been a regular visitor to Yorkshire in recent times, most recently last month when he visited a restored tithe barn at Poppleton.’
- ‘The property also includes an ancient stone tithe barn, dating from 1570.’
- ‘The church was granted to the Augustinian abbey at Bristol in 1154, and the tithe barn was erected by Abbot Newland.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.