Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for sphene
- ‘Some calcareous veins contain epidote, titanite and apatite.’
- ‘Finer-grained titanite is also a common matrix mineral.’
- ‘Magnetite, apatite, titanite and zircon make up the accessory minerals.’
- ‘Secondary titanite, chlorite, white mica and pyrrhotite are abundant, and some samples contain metamorphic biotite.’
- ‘During obduction, mantle-derived magmas most likely evolved to granitic compositions by assimilation of sediments and by fractional crystallization of amphibole, feldspar, titanite and allanite.’
Late 18th century: from titanium + -ite.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.