Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A female Titan.
- ‘The Lampades defended Hekate with their torches just as the Titaness herself fought in the wars of the gods.’
- ‘Knowing that she begins a new tradition, LaMotte chooses to address the Mother of the Muses, Mnemosyne, ‘thou Titaness, / Thou ancient one, daughter of Heaven and Earth’ instead of Calliope, the muse of epic poetry.’
- ‘The Titaness Theia bore, to her husband Hyperion, Helios, the sun, Selene, the moon and Eos, the dawn.’
- ‘From this union she bore the nine Titans and three Titanesses each of whom took a brother as husband.’
- ‘She was the Goddess of Wisdom, and the daughter of the Titaness who basically personified it.’
- 1.1titaness A female person of very great strength, intellect, or importance.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.