Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A female Titan.
- ‘Knowing that she begins a new tradition, LaMotte chooses to address the Mother of the Muses, Mnemosyne, ‘thou Titaness, / Thou ancient one, daughter of Heaven and Earth’ instead of Calliope, the muse of epic poetry.’
- ‘She was the Goddess of Wisdom, and the daughter of the Titaness who basically personified it.’
- ‘The Lampades defended Hekate with their torches just as the Titaness herself fought in the wars of the gods.’
- ‘From this union she bore the nine Titans and three Titanesses each of whom took a brother as husband.’
- ‘The Titaness Theia bore, to her husband Hyperion, Helios, the sun, Selene, the moon and Eos, the dawn.’
- 1.1A female person of very great strength, intellect, or importance.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.