One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Hindu place of pilgrimage, especially one by a river or lake.
holy place, temple, church, chapel, tabernacle, altar, sanctuary, sanctumView synonyms
- ‘For the temple, so the Brahmins will tell you, is a tirtha, a crossing place, linking the profane to the sacred.’
- ‘These tirthas are spiritual crossings where the river of this earthly life may be safely forded to the far shore of immortality.’
- ‘‘Pilgrimage to Gosainkund,’ for example, is a late 18 th-century painting that shows villages and temples on the way to this tirtha, a sacred lake to Lord Siva, located at 16,000 feet.’
- ‘There are six other tirthas in India, but none as powerful and auspicious as this.’
- ‘Sojourns in tirthas, which are meritorious and which constitute one of the high mysteries of the rishis, are even superior to sacrifices.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.