One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Hindu place of pilgrimage, especially one by a river or lake.
holy place, temple, church, chapel, tabernacle, altar, sanctuary, sanctumView synonyms
- ‘There are six other tirthas in India, but none as powerful and auspicious as this.’
- ‘‘Pilgrimage to Gosainkund,’ for example, is a late 18 th-century painting that shows villages and temples on the way to this tirtha, a sacred lake to Lord Siva, located at 16,000 feet.’
- ‘These tirthas are spiritual crossings where the river of this earthly life may be safely forded to the far shore of immortality.’
- ‘Sojourns in tirthas, which are meritorious and which constitute one of the high mysteries of the rishis, are even superior to sacrifices.’
- ‘For the temple, so the Brahmins will tell you, is a tirtha, a crossing place, linking the profane to the sacred.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.