Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A Hindu place of pilgrimage, especially one by a river or lake.
holy place, temple, church, chapel, tabernacle, altar, sanctuary, sanctumView synonyms
- ‘‘Pilgrimage to Gosainkund,’ for example, is a late 18 th-century painting that shows villages and temples on the way to this tirtha, a sacred lake to Lord Siva, located at 16,000 feet.’
- ‘Sojourns in tirthas, which are meritorious and which constitute one of the high mysteries of the rishis, are even superior to sacrifices.’
- ‘For the temple, so the Brahmins will tell you, is a tirtha, a crossing place, linking the profane to the sacred.’
- ‘There are six other tirthas in India, but none as powerful and auspicious as this.’
- ‘These tirthas are spiritual crossings where the river of this earthly life may be safely forded to the far shore of immortality.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.