Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The point at which a series of small changes or incidents becomes significant enough to cause a larger, more important change.
- ‘Now it seems consumers may have reached their tipping point.’
- ‘More important, once you know your tipping point, what do you do about it?’
- ‘Brooding about this needless death, I reached the internal tipping point, where my guilt started to outweigh my pleasure.’
- ‘What is perhaps most interesting about Love's model is that the musical public only becomes political at a specific moment or tipping point of self-consciousness.’
- ‘It seems I experienced some kind of tipping point, at which I decided I wanted to learn about other races, rather than wanting to hate them.’
- ‘I think people have things that are sort of tipping points in their lives.’
- ‘I'd just about reached the tipping point in my day's rooting allegiance - I'd have given it up for Colon in the ninth, but Luis Polonia beat me to the punch with a one-out single.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.