One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have a weight of (a specified amount)‘the phone tips the scales at only 150g’
- ‘Through this regimen of exercise, diet, and sleep, it is not unusual for some wrestlers to weigh more than 150 kilograms, and a few tip the scales at 200 kilograms and higher.’
- ‘A month into their challenge, the pair, who between them, tipped the scales at just under half a tonne at their first weigh in, have each already lost nearly a stone.’
- ‘He did make the weight and tipped the scales at 121 after being overweight by four pounds the day before.’
- ‘This shaves an impressive 4 oz of weight from the bantamweight pistol, which only tips the scales at 24 oz empty, with the mag.’
- ‘At almost 6-5, Smith gained weight to tip the scales at 217 pounds on Friday morning.’
- ‘He now tips the scales at perhaps one third of his full adult weight, which makes him something like one fifth of Dolly's massive bulk.’
- ‘Naomi tipped the scales at 119 kg, while Jo weighed 111 kg.’
- ‘The six-footer has been lifting weights for five years and tips the scales at 190 pounds.’
- ‘The Super Black Eagle, tipping the scales at 7.5 pounds, weighs only a few ounces more than its standard 12-gauge counterpart like the M1 Field.’
- ‘The girl, to be named Octavia, weighed 5lb 1oz, while her brother, Merlin, tipped the scales at 4lb 10 oz.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.