One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Denoting a seat in a theatre or other public place that is designed to tilt up vertically when unoccupied so as to let people pass easily.
- ‘The American film festival runs 24 / 7, everywhere there is a projector and a row of tip-up seats.’
- ‘It was the first London theatre to have carpeted floors and tip-up seats and was built without pillars so that there was a clear view from every seat.’
- ‘In the 1960s, during his first football chairmanship, at Oldham Athletic, he advocated refreshment bars, executive boxes and tip-up seats.’
- ‘But unless they are pointed out beneath the tip-up seats in the Choir, most visitors to Ripon Cathedral miss the carvings made by medieval craftsmen.’
- ‘In the choir and transepts black marble shafts are striking detail, while the intricately carved choir stalls of 1520 have tip-up misericord seats decorated with secular scenes.’
- ‘Incidentally, the tip-up mechanism on those rear seats has nothing in common with the tip-up mechanism favoured in cinemas which, one can see, would not have taken to the road particularly well.’
- ‘The players scavenged driftwood and even raided a timberyard at night for materials, while 74 tip-up seats were donated by the local cinema.’
- ‘There was no cushioned seats or tip-up seats.’
- ‘The tip-up seat pieces, which were changed periodically, frequently incorporated text, too.’
- 1.1 Denoting a rear platform of a truck or lorry that may be raised up, enabling a load to be discharged.
- ‘A colleague, who was sitting with him, escaped from the tip-up lorry which rolled forward and struck a lamppost, knocking it towards a loyalist paramilitary mural near where the bar once stood.’
A device used in ice fishing in which a wire attached to the rod is tripped, raising a signal flag, when a fish takes the bait.
- ‘If you are energetic an have a second hole you can also use a tip-up.’
- ‘The lazy man's approach is to use a spring loaded tip-up but that is about as much fun as watching paint dry.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.