One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Ringing or buzzing in the ears.
hum, humming, buzzing, murmur, drone, whir, whirring, fizz, fizzing, fuzz, hiss, singing, whisperView synonyms
- ‘Treatment is based on trying to control the associated symptoms of vertigo, tinnitus and deafness.’
- ‘This condition has the associated symptoms of tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and difficulty with hearing.’
- ‘Sometimes tinnitus is a symptom of a disease, like an ear infection or Meniere's disease.’
- ‘The tinnitus and pain occurred simultaneously while the patient was sleeping.’
- ‘Here I don't have to strain to try and get rid of the buzzing and ringing tinnitus that is with me every waking hour.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin, from tinnire ‘to ring, tinkle’, of imitative origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.