One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small African barbet with a monotonous metallic call like a hammer striking an anvil, repeated for long periods.
- ‘Fruit-eating birds include orioles, hornbills, and tinkerbirds, which fill the forest air with their metallic calls.’
- ‘There are 43 species of barbets and tinkerbirds that span the African continent from south of the Sahara.’
- ‘We stayed in a comfortable log cabin under the forest canopy and saw new birds from our stoep - golden rumped tinker barbets, white eared barbets, purple crested louries, yellowbreasted apalis and golden rumped woodpeckers.’
- ‘Also located in this exhibit is an African aviary, home to exotic birds, such as the yellow-rumped tinkerbirds and amethyst starlings.’
- ‘Kruwa has fruit trees that in season draw many greenbuls, barbets, tinkerbirds, hornbills, and other birds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.