One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
in singular The sound of the repeated ringing of a small bell.
tinkle, ring, ding, ping, chimeView synonyms
- ‘Her voice has a bell in it, a ting-a-ling sound.’
- ‘Tug a slot machine enough times, and the ting-a-ling of instant income might convince you to continue emptying your change bucket.’
- ‘With a ting-a-ling off we go...’
- ‘The bell goes with me in second place, that magical ting-a-ling that always draws a roar from the crowd and puts speed in the stride of every runner.’
- ‘Ting-a-ling, ting-a-ling went the bell.’
Mid 19th century: imitative.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.