One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bracket fungus with a hard hoof-like upper surface, growing chiefly on birch and beech.
Fomes fomentarius, family Polyporaceae, class HymenomycetesAlso called hoof fungus
- ‘The fungus's other names include tinder fungus, for which it used to be used, and horse's hoof fungus.’
- ‘Both processes require tinder - some material like degraded wood or tinder fungus - to catch the spark and ignite.’
- ‘Alternately, you could use a piece of tinder fungus and the flint piece.’
- ‘If you happen to come across a big batch of tinder fungus you can use it as all-weather fuel.’
- ‘Several tinders can be used: dry moss tinder, shredded bark of juniper, the interior material of the true tinder fungus or the false tinder fungus.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.