One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who mines surface deposits of tin.‘local residents told of a tin scratcher who had made a living on the mountain’
- ‘The tin scratcher's face looked peculiarly wooden.’
- ‘A tin-scratcher reached for the billy-can. "You boys must be hungry," he remarked agreeably.’
- ‘I had been this way on the mail boat in 1970 and remembered dropping off supplies at a tin scratcher's camp called Roonga.’
- ‘A 61 year old part-time tin scratcher and horse-breaker was asked to teach a few miscreant youths how to ride one weekend.’
- ‘A drover come past on his way to Flora Valley to pick up a mob so I hitched a ride with him and left those alky tin-scratchers to it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.