Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(in various sports) a test of a competitor's individual speed over a set distance, especially a cycling race in which competitors are separately timed.
contest, competitionView synonyms
- ‘The evening time trial was raced on a challenging, technical circuit, with hills and cobbles.’
- ‘In 2004 will you target the Olympics, and if you do, will you go for pursuit on the track, the time trial or the road race?’
- ‘Cooke came fifth in her best event, the road race, and 19th in the women's individual time trial.’
- ‘Mark Scanlon will contest both the individual time trial and the road race at the European championships in France next month.’
- ‘The second place in the time trial in the Italian Championship was a defeat.’
- ‘We will be in the Pyrenees in the first week of the race so hopefully Roberto can hit the first time trial with a good advantage on his rivals.’
- ‘Honestly, I wasn't even sure that Christine would be racing the time trial in Redlands.’
- ‘That's when each racer will face cycling's ‘race of truth,’ an individual time trial.’
- ‘Karin will be competing in both the time trial and the individual pursuit in Athens.’
- ‘Armstrong has four more long road stages, plus an individual time trial on Friday, left to negotiate before the race rolls into Paris on Sunday.’
- ‘Stage three, an individual time trial, would shake the race up.’
- ‘He injured his knee after banging it against his own handlebars during the team time trial in the first week of his first Tour.’
- ‘If not, then Wiggins will be left free to concentrate on the world individual time trial in Madrid in September.’
- ‘This resembles an individual time trial, but with entire teams competing together.’
- ‘Tomorrow we have a double day - what looks to be a short flat road race in the morning and a time trial in the evening.’
- ‘The final type of stage is called the time trial, or race of truth.’
- ‘Do you feel the race is calmer this year having started with the long time trial?’
- ‘With her place in the road race long since secure, Cooke has yet to make up her mind about competing in the time trial, the event she came unstuck in at the Commonwealths.’
- ‘She was also seventh in the 500m time trial and plans to compete in both events.’
- ‘In October, he won the time trial at the World Championships to add to stage victories at the Tour de France and Tour de Spain.’
2An exercise designed to test the time needed for a task or activity.
- ‘If you think about the activity of completing a single reaction time trial you can imagine the sorts of mental processes you go through.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.