Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Reducing the amount of time needed to do something.‘he had no idea this time-saving idea would turn into a profitable business’‘time-saving devices’
- ‘This invaluable holiday resource offers helpful timesaving tips, loads of seasonal recipes, and great make-it-yourself projects.’
- ‘What is your favorite timesaving or time-making tip?’
- ‘We work harder and longer than ever before without rest, despite all our time-saving home devices and services.’
- ‘We have developed a unique timesaving system that allows for fast and structured reporting.’
- ‘It may have taken four decades but eventually an occasion finally has arisen when this so-called time-saving gadget really would save time, if only the right spare parts could be found.’
- ‘The commanders of the blockading squadrons now had at their disposal a thorough, ready-made, and timesaving analysis of their areas of operations along with all applicable charts.’
- ‘If you pay attention during class and are the type of person who doesn't need to study a whole lot, this method is both advantageous and timesaving.’
- ‘Plan your meals around the use of these and other time-saving appliances.’
- ‘As I found in my project, you'll likely end up using a combination of these time-saving techniques.’
- ‘The aircraft was therefore self-sufficient and did not need to rely on truck-mounted stairs - a timesaving circumstance of particular importance when small or relatively undeveloped airfields were being served.’
- ‘Jean jackets are also extremely practical and light, making it easy to hang on the back of a school chair - a timesaving alternative to going to your locker before every class.’
- ‘The rapid pace of modern life has created enormous demand for convenient and time-saving goods and services.’
- ‘My dad figured out the perfect low-work, time-saving way to deal with mowing the grass: He made me do it.’
- ‘Economic maximizing and consumerism have induced workers not only to opt for overtime but to choose time-saving devices to aid in their leisure.’
- ‘It's a useful, time-saving device that will attract many fans here - though it does come at a cost.’
- ‘A few easy-to-use time-saving ideas can make all the difference and help you get more out of every day.’
- ‘When operated properly, however, flamers are easy-to-use, safe, and timesaving gardening tools.’
- ‘You'll also find traditional foods, folk arts, and the timesaving gadgets for which the Japanese are famous.’
- ‘Try some of our time-saving shortcuts this year so you can have more time to enjoy your lawn, garden and landscape.’
- ‘The concept of a centralized database containing a patient's entire medical history is the kind of timesaving and potentially life-saving innovation doctors yearn for, but the idea makes privacy watchdogs squirm.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.